Maritime Injury Law

MaritimeInjury Issues:

Maritime Injury Law:

Maritime law is the "law of the sea." Maritime law covers all marine activities on navigable waters of the United States and all international waters. Maritime law includes ports, harbors, bays and rivers or anyplace ships can carry cargo or passengers. The law also applies to the operation of all types of vessels, such as super tankers, super ferries, towboats, tugboats, cruise liners, kayaks, fishing board or small skiffs. Personal injuries covered by maritime law applies to seamen, fishermen and fish processors, factory workers, vessel engineers and offers, or any individual who contributes to a vessel. Furthermore, it covers ship passengers, ship visitors or shipyard workers.

Maritime law, also called "admiralty law," governs the sea and all navigable bodies of water. Any marine activities on oceans, harbors, rivers, bays, ports or anywhere a ship may sail is subject to follow maritime laws. This includes ships that carry passengers and/or cargo, boats, ferries, kayaks, barges, tankers, cruise liners, etc.

These maritime laws are put in place by the International Maritime Organization and enforced by the nation's navies and coast guards. Any crimes, injuries, claims, disputes, or other illegal activities that occur on open or navigable waters fall within the scope of maritime law and may be punishable by one of the various acts or statutes covered within this body of laws.

If a person is injured or taken ill on a vessel of any kind, their rights are protected under maritime injury law. This applies to passengers, visitors, workers, crew, fishers, seamen, engineers, or any other individual injured offshore.

Maritime Law Lawyers

It is important to understand that maritime law is completely separate from the laws governing activities on land. Therefore, if you or a loved one has been injured while offshore, a personal injury attorney can best be of help. A personal injury attorney that is experienced in and knowledgeable about maritime injury laws can guide you through any litigation that may be necessary to protect your interests.

If you have suffered an injury or illness due to a boating accident, marina fire, ship thievery, sexual harassment or assault by a crewmember, oil spill, or any other accident that occurred on the open sea or a navigable body of water, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other related damages. Accidents offshore can also lead to wrongful death; therefore it is important to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney with experience in maritime laws immediately.

Maritime Law Legal Issues:

A person injured or even killed aboard a vessel on navigable waters has rights against the vessel owner under maritime law. If you are employed and work on a ship, boat, barge, fishing boat, tanker, container ship, cruise ship, charter boat or any other vessel, you are likely to be covered by maritime law for your injuries. Injured employees or passengers may be entitled to get compensated for the wages they would have received if an injury had not occurred during the voyage or contract period.

What a Lawyer can do for you:

Maritime lawyers have the knowledge in dealing with federal lawsuits and can protect your interests in your personal injuries. A maritime lawyer can handle all types of sea vessel boat accidents, collisions of ships and boats, crew wage claims, fires in marinas, boat and yachts, thefts, crew member sexual harassment and salvage claims and any other area involving sea navigation.

Lawyer Referral Service:

If you need a maritime lawyer for your personal injury, accident or other maritime claims, contact Attorney Search Network today. Attorney Search Network can refer you to a qualified maritime lawyer in your area.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact us. Call us toll free at (800) 215-1190 or fill out our online form for your personal injury lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact Attorney Search Network.