K-1 Visa Immigration Law

K-1 Visa Legal Issues

K-1 Visa

The fiancé(e) to marry U.S. citizen and live in U.S. K-1 visa is also referred to as a "Fiancé(e) Visa." It allows a foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the U.S. for a brief period in order to get married. The couple must get married within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e) entering the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Once the marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can then apply for a green card with the USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Services).

In order to apply for a K-1 Visa for a fiancé(e) to marry a U.S. citizen and live in the U.S., one party must be a legal U.S. citizen, both parties must be legally free to marry, the parties must have met within the last two years, and the parties must have an intent to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)'s arrival into the U.S.

Legal Consequences of a Fiancé(e) To Marry U.S. Citizen & Live In U.S (K-1 Visa) :

Marrying one's fiancé(e) in the U.S. on a K-1 visa is typically easier and faster than marrying in the foreign fiancé(e)'s country and then applying for a CR1 or IR1 immigrant visa. Because of this, however, many people use this visa process to evade immigration laws and fraudulently enter the U.S. The process of filing for a K-1 visa can take 4-6 months and any slight error or discrepancy may delay the approval further, or result in the application being denied. This can be detrimental to the couple and their marriage plans.

There are many steps involved in the process of both obtaining a K-1 visa and then applying for a permanent resident status green card. This includes various forms from both parties, visa fees, medical examines, proof of relationship, records, etc. If the foreign fiancé(e) has children, each must file for an additional K-2 visa. In addition, if the couple does not marry within the 90 days, the foreign fiancé(e) must leave the U.S. immediately after the 90 days is up, or he/she will be violating immigration laws.

What a Immigration Lawyer can do for you:

Navigating the process of applying for a K-1 non-immigrant visa can be grueling and stressful. An immigration attorney that is experienced in K-1 visas can help a couple that intends to marry through the entire process, helping you fill out all forms accurately, gather all necessary documentation, and deal with any challenges that may occur. Without the help of an immigration attorney, many K-1 visa applications are quickly denied by the USCIS and US State Department because they suspect fraud. Thus, having an immigration attorney help you file and guide you through the process can be your best chance at allowing your fiancé(e) to legally marry you and then live in the U.S. permanently.

Lawyer Referral Service:

If you intend to file for a Fiancé(e) To Marry U.S. Citizen & Live In U.S. K-1 Visa, Attorney Search Network can refer you to an immigration lawyer in your area that can best assist you. Contact Attorney Search Network today to handle your fiancé(e) visa questions and concerns.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact us. Call us toll free at (800) 215-1190 or fill out our online form for your Immigration lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact Attorney Search Network.