CNMI-only transitional worker Visa Immigration Law

CNMI-only transitional worker Visa Legal Issues

CNMI-only transitional worker (CW-1 Visa)

CW-1 visas for CNMI-only transitional workers are nonimmigrant temporary work visas for a very specific group of people. These CW-1 visas are only for employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) to use to hire foreign nonimmigrant workers that are otherwise unable to secure any other type of nonimmigrant work visa. This is a temporary visa category meant to transition out of the old CNMI foreign worker permit process. The transition period for CW-1 visas is schedule to end December 31, 2014, but it may be extended by the U.S. Department of Labor.

For an employer to qualify for a CNMI-only transitional worker CW-1 visa, they must: be a legitimate commercial or entrepreneurial business; consider all eligible U.S. citizens for the position first; offer a job position that is relevant to the business; comply with all regular federal and CNMI employment requirements; file necessary forms to hire foreign transitional workers; and pay travel costs back to the foreign worker's previous home abroad if he or she is terminated early.

For a foreign worker to qualify for a CNMI-only transitional worker CW-1 visa, he or she must: be ineligible for any other U.S. nonimmigrant work visa; work in a business category in the CNMI that needs foreign workers to supplement their local workforce; have a legitimate CNMI business file a petition on his or her behalf; remain lawfully present in the CNMI and not anywhere else in the U.S.; be otherwise permitted to enter the United States.

Legal Issues for CNMI-only transitional worker (CW-1 Visa):

The application process for a CW-1 visa for CNMI-only transitional workers is extremely complex because these visas are so specific to particular businesses and workers. There are different processes to follow for CNMI employers depending on their circumstances and needs. There are also different processes for the foreign transitional workers to follow, depending upon whether they already live and work in the CNMI or if they are applying for work there from abroad. Certain foreign workers with CW-1 visas will be allowed to accompany them to the CNMI, however, there are further restrictions for dependents and various situations described in the CW-1 visa process that must be followed.

CW-1 visas for CNMI-only transitional workers are valid only for one year. In addition, while on a CW-1 visa there are travel restrictions and early-termination procedures that must be followed in order to remain in compliance with immigration law. It is important to thoroughly understand all aspects of this rare visa category before applying for it.

What an Immigration Lawyer can do for you:

Because the CW-1 visa category for CNMI-only transitional workers is very specific and is only temporary, it is wise to seek the council of an immigration attorney if applying for this visa. Whether you are a CNMI employer that needs to hire foreign nonimmigrant workers or a foreign worker wishing to work in the CNMI, an immigration lawyer can help you though this complicated process. An immigration lawyer can explain to you the difference between the old visa process and the new CW-1 visa process, and can best assist you prepare for it. They can also explain all restrictions and requirements of this visa category, and help you if there are any dependents involved. Attorneys are familiar with the CNMI-only transitional worker CW-1 visa category and they can best assist you legally obtain this rare visa.

Lawyer Referral Service:

Attorney Search Network can refer you to an immigration lawyer if you need help with a CW-1 visa. Contact Attorney Search Network today for an immigration lawyer referral that can assist you with your CW-1 visa for CNMI-only transitional workers.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact us. Call us toll free at (800) 215-1190 or fill out our online form for your Immigration lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact Attorney Search Network.