Unpaid Wages

Unpaid Wages Employment Law

Unpaid Wages Law:

The California Labor Code helps to protect workers' rights in the workplace. This includes the right to receive wages for hours worked. However, some companies may violate the codes, resulting in employee's not being paid for all hours worked. Some employers underpay their employees intentionally and some do so unintentionally. Either way, these unpaid wages can be detrimental to the worker, as they likely rely on their wages to pay bills, support a family and/or maintain their cost of living.

Unpaid Wages Legal Issues:

Unpaid wages commonly occur when employers purposely misclassify or title their workers so that they can avoid paying overtime. However, titling a worker as a manager or contractor does not mean that the employer does not have to pay that employee overtime. Similarly, putting a worker on salary or commission-based pay rather than hourly pay, does not mean that the worker is not entitled to the minimum wage and/or overtime pay. Employers may abuse this by making their salaried workers work over the 40-hour per week/ 8-hour per day limit and not compensate them properly for their time. Some employees may not even realize they are entitled to overtime pay or a minimum standard wage for their time worked. Unpaid wages are a violation of the California Labor Code and an employer will be responsible for all back-pay and additional penalties imposed.

What an Employment Lawyer can do for you:

If you notice your paycheck is missing proper compensation for wages worked, or you are unsure whether or not you are entitled to more pay or overtime pay, a labor law attorney can evaluate your situation and help you understand your rights. Whether the unpaid wages are a result of an hourly rate below the minimum wage, unpaid overtime, misclassification of job title, or some other error, an experienced attorney can help you settle this issue with your employer so that you get all pay that is due to you. You may be able to get back pay, interest, and even additional compensation as a penalty from your employer if he or she intentionally underpaid you. You have a right to receive money owed to you in addition to compensation for any damages caused to you as a result of unpaid wages. Labor law lawyers are available to help you act on these rights.

Lawyer Referral Service:

If you have been denied overtime pay, breaks, or have been unjustly classified in some way so that your employer can get away with unpaid wages, contact Attorney Search Network to speak to an experienced labor law lawyer.

If you have any questions about the employment law information provided above, please contact us. Call us toll free at (800) 215-1190 or fill out our online form for your Employment Law lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact Attorney Search Network.