I-360 Petition Immigration Law

I-360 Petition Legal Issues

I-360 Petition or U-Visa Law

An I-360 Petition or a U-Visa is a specific type of visa for a Widow or Widower of a U.S. Citizen and victims of serious crimes.

If your spouse was a United States Citizen and they have passed away, an attorney can assist you the widow/widower with your I-360 petition.

As the victim of a serious crime you may be eligible to apply for a U-Visa. The U visa applies to immigrants, including undocumented immigrants, who are the victims of certain serious crimes and who have cooperated with authorities in the prosecution of the perpetrator. An immigrant granted a U Visa or I-360 Petition will subsequently be given legal status to reside and work in the United States.

What is the purpose of the I-360 petition or U-Visa?

The law allows law enforcement to investigate and prosecute certain types of criminal matters. Following the prosecution, the law allows victims of these crimes to submit the I-360 petition to obtain a U-Visa so they can have a better future. The U-Visa allows victims of criminal offenses to report crimes and testify in court without the fear of deportation.

Types of crimes that qualify a victim for a U-Visa

The following crimes are what can qualify a victim for a U-Visa: domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking of aliens and other crimes while, at the same time, offering protection to victims of such crimes.

How does one qualify for a U-Visa?

1. You have been a victim of one of the crimes listed above

2. You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of one of the above crimes; and

3. You have useful information concerning the crime which occurred; and

4. You have helped, or is likely to help, in the investigation or prosecution of the crime, and

5. The crime committed violated the laws of the United States or occurred in the United States.

What an Immigration Lawyer can do for you

Immigration petitions are very complex and timely. If a petition is not submitted correctly, you will be notified by immigration after waiting a substantial amount of time, which can jeopardize your chances of obtaining legal status. An Immigration lawyer can complete the petition for you and ensure that all questions are answered correctly. An Immigration lawyer will also make sure all necessary government documents are submitted with your petition.

If you are the widow/widower of a U.S. Citizen or the victim of one of the crimes listed above, contact Attorney Search Network today for a free lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact us. Call us toll free at (800) 215-1190 or fill out our online form for your Immigration lawyer referral.

If you have any questions about the information provided above, please contact Attorney Search Network.